KEI Europe is the Geneva-based entity affiliated with Knowledge Ecology International, which focuses on the management of knowledge, including innovation and access to knowledge goods.
Recent Efforts in Europe
- On 14 August 2020, KEI Europe submitted comments on the EU’s Intellectual Property Action Plan
- On 7 July 2020, KEI Europe submitted comments on the EU’s pharmaceutical strategy roadmap.
- On 3 March 2020, KEI Europe submitted comments on the EU’s cancer roadmap.
- On 7 November 2019, 21 civil society organizations and 24 individuals including public health experts, and legal analysts sent a letter to Italy’s new Minister of Health, Roberto Speranza expressing support for Dr Luca Li Bassi, the current Director General of Agenzia Italiana del Farmaco (AIFA). The pdf version of the letter can be found here.
- On 6 March 2019, 83 civil society organizations (including KEI Europe) and 20 individuals wrote an open letter to WHO member states requesting support for Italy’s resolution on “Improving the transparency of markets for drugs, vaccines and other health-related technologies”. The text of the transparency resolution can be found here. Currently, Greece, Malaysia, and Slovenia are co-sponsors of the Italian transparency resolution.
- On 16 April 2018, 33 groups (including KEI Europe) wrote a letter to European Commission’s Trade Commissioner, Cecilia Malmström, expressing concerns over the Commission’s plans to create an EU Watch List. The full text of the letter can be found here. Commissioner Malmström’s response can be found here.
- Seventeen civil society groups, including KEI Europe, submitted a letter to the EU voicing support for a resolution on a feasibility study concerning delinkage models for cancer treatment R&D at the 70th World Health Assembly.
- KEI Europe, in conjunction with several allied organizations, filed a request that the UK government exercise Crown Use in order to make a critical breast cancer treatment affordable and available in the UK.
- Further information regarding our Crown Use request and other licensing efforts in Europe are available on our Actions page.